KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
What a different defense without Akiem Hicks.

Solid interior defensive line play sets up the entire defense. Conversely, weak interior line defense creates problems that even the best edge guys and linebackers can't overcome.

Gutey, take note.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
3 years ago

What a different defense without Akiem Hicks.

Solid interior defensive line play sets up the entire defense. Conversely, weak interior line defense creates problems that even the best edge guys and linebackers can't overcome.

Gutey, take note.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Exactly, and they're missing their starting NT who opted out of the season and been struggling there all season.

But people want to blame Pettine (and I'm certainly not saying he's completely innocent), but I don't give a crap who've you got coaching the DTs/ILBers need to be improved. Scheme changes along won't fix that unless you completely sell out, then you'd be begging the other team not to throw bomb passes.

They NEED better players, on top of maybe some coaching changes. Still surprise they didn't draft one DT, CB nor WR. I know they're going for BPA, but arguably the 3 biggest needs and you don't even take a swing anywhere?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
The Chicago Bears never have fired a coach during the season, but Matt Nagy’s job status is in the spotlight after a ‘flat-out embarrassing’ loss

By COLLEEN KANE CHICAGO TRIBUNE NOV 30, 2020 AT 4:41 PM

Matt Nagy sat down for a Zoom call with reporters 12 hours after the Chicago Bears’ 41-25 loss to the Green Bay Packers and called the performance what it was: “flat-out embarrassing.”

Nagy’s team sank to a new low Sunday night as its losing streak reached five games, causing questions to arise about the job security of many at Halas Hall. The Bears coach said he hoped everybody in the building lost sleep as they examined what went wrong when they fell behind by 24 points in the first half and trailed by 31 against the NFC North leaders.

“I know this: We better wake our tails up,” Nagy said. “Every freaking coach on the staff, every player, better wake up and start understanding where we’re at. Have some personal pride. Have a freaking sense of urgency. Know where we’re at. Have some pride into who we’re playing for and why we do this and then go find a way to win as a team. That’s my challenge to every single person in that building this week.

“Yesterday was flat-out embarrassing, and our guys know it. … But we’re going to step up — all coaches, all players — and we’ve got five games left. For us, it’s our own personal challenge as to where we’re at and how we’re going to do this thing. But that performance yesterday is ridiculous and can’t happen. And obviously that starts with me.”

Indeed, Nagy’s job status — and that of general manager Ryan Pace — has moved into a glaring spotlight with the Bears falling to 5-6.

The Bears never have fired a coach in season. Not Marc Trestman after a 55-14 loss to the Packers dropped the Bears to 3-6 in 2014. And not John Fox after the Bears lost five straight in 2017, including back-to-back embarrassments against the Philadelphia Eagles and 49ers, to drop to 3-9. Both were fired after the final game in those seasons.

And so it would appear Nagy, who is 25-18 over three seasons, has five games to stockpile evidence for his case that the McCaskey family should keep him around. The Houston Texans, Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions already have fired their head coaches this season.

Nagy said Sunday night he was more focused on keeping his team together amid the challenges than he was worried about losing his job. He reiterated that Monday while also saying he understands the potential ramifications of such a slide.

“That’s all a part of our business,” Nagy said. “Not just head coaches but coordinators, position coaches, all of our families, we all sign up for that. That comes along with where we’re at.

“I can’t worry about that right now. … When you lose five in a row like this, you’ve got to come up with different solutions, different answers and then you’ve got to have that pride. So put all of that other stuff aside. I have to worry about every single day being the leader for these guys and this team and to understand, ‘OK, where are our warts at? And whatever they are, let’s clean them up.’ ”

Leadership isn’t Nagy’s biggest issue, though it is bound to be tested even more if the Bears can’t pull themselves up against a weak closing schedule that includes the Lions, Texans, Minnesota Vikings and Jacksonville Jaguars before another meeting with the Packers.

While Nagy on Monday called out his defense, which allowed the Packers to rush for 182 yards and Aaron Rodgers to throw four touchdown passes without a takeaway or a sack, his offense has been the primary culprit during the losing streak.

Nagy has made many changes in an effort to fix one of the worst offenses in the league. He brought in several new offensive coaches in the offseason, benched quarterback Mitch Trubisky for Nick Foles and then brought Trubisky back and gave up play calling to offensive coordinator Bill Lazor.

None has produced the desired results, and the Bears remain 31st in the league, ahead of only the New York Jets, with 305.5 yards per game and 4.7 yards per play.

The failure has put Nagy in the position of trying to drum up motivation for a stretch run to change the narrative on his tenure, as unlikely as that might seem after a loss like the one at Lambeau Field.

He at least knows some of his players feel his pain. Outside linebacker Khalil Mack said afterward the performance was “unacceptable” and “very frustrating.” And wide receiver Anthony Miller tweeted, “(Expletive) embarrassing.”

“Right now is an extreme low,” Nagy said. “It’s not fun at all. It stinks. But if you fight, if you care, if you have a little pride, if your DNA allows you to get a little pissed off and angry, maybe then good things happen.

“Check yourself, and that’s where there’s some soul searching. That’s what the soul searching means. It doesn’t mean point fingers. It doesn’t mean blame. That’s not what we do. That’s not how we roll. But you better have some stinking fire and you better have some care. And if you have that, I promise you with the talent that we have, good things will happen. But you’ve got to do it. Enough is enough. We all feel it.”
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
nerdmann
3 years ago
Very good offensive coach. Would be interesting to see him with a real QB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
3 years ago

Very good offensive coach. Would be interesting to see him with a real QB.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He might be good, but I hate how he got away from the run when the run was clearly their strength last year. Then figured it out and the team started winning half way through the season but too late.

Also didn't like how predictable the plays become at times, when he'd show a clear two way play, then he'd go third surprise option! Which is extremely smart... but he over and over did it, to the point I was correctly guess it's the third surprise option with the least amount of blockers to catch them off guard but when you over do it, it's no longer a surprise.

So I'm not sure If want him as play caller, even if he's great at setting up.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
“Chic-A-go-go”......sounds like the name of a strip club!😂

I hope the Lions can beat them this week. That, and I hope the Vikings lose. If both those things happen, we should be able to coast to the North title.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.