Zero2Cool
3 years ago
This was approved by the NFL and NFLPA.

Teams that lose a minority coach or an executive to a head coach position or primary football executive role with another club will receive a third-round compensatory pick for two consecutive years.

If a team loses a minority coach and an executive to both head coach and general manager/president roles, that club will receive a third-round compensatory pick for three consecutive years.

We have 32 teams in the NFL. Each team has no more than one of the following. Owner, General Manager and Head Coach. Each team has at least three coordinators (Offense, Defense and Special Teams) and some have more. Teams also have anywhere from 3-6 assistants.

According to census.gov, America is populated by 76% White with the rest being considered the minority. Black or African American are 13%.

If you watch Hockey or NASCAR, you think yeah those numbers hold true. If you watch NBA and NFL, you're thinking those numbers are a flat out lie.

I'm absolutely in favor of everyone being given the same opportunity as the next person. I just don't feel people should be excluded based on race, nor should there be a reward for your race. I feel that causes division amongst us. I understand the intent of this change and I truly hope it works. It just feels dirty like this is some optics driven angle.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
I agree. It feels wrong but by the same token I don't see why teams have not hired more minorities in the past. If I owned a team or if I was the GM I would want the best man (woman) to lead my team regardless of color.

There has been change but it has been slow. If they have to award comp picks I would have preferred it to be for one year not two. I would also preferred it to be a 5th instead of a 3rd. If the 5th didn't help then they could come back and sweetened the offer.

The next question is what happens next? If every team hires a Black GM/HC for the next 10 years and it is no longer an issue do they remove the comp?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

..and their ability to coach.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
3 years ago
I think it’s stupid.
If a black person has the best qualifications, I would for certain hire them!
If it’s a white person, Asian person, Native American, whatever. If they are the best qualified, HIRE them!!!
If you don’t, YOU are the idiot.

Giving incentives for the color of their skin? Just another wedge to make sure the races keep the hate flowing.
Maybe the NFL and NBA should gives teams incentives to have more white players on their teams.
The majority of players are black.

Their talent/abilities should be placed less important, and skin color should matter more.
(See how stupid that would be?)
UserPostedImage
earthquake
3 years ago
Meritocracy is all fine and dandy on paper. In reality, women and minorities are simply not given the same opportunities that white men are. They're paid less, they're less likely to be put in positions of leadership, management, executive positions, etc, even when they are equally qualified for these positions. Nepotism, sexism, and good old-fashioned systemic racism are problems that we're still struggling with in this country (and the world at large). The NFL is certainly no different.

This inequality is patently visible in a league in which 2/3rds of the players are black and exceptionally few minorities occupy high-level positions. Is it because black and brown people are simply less able? Well, given that there are a lot more experienced minorities in this line of work than white people, that seems unlikely. Surely through brute force and the law of averages, we could expect able candidates to emerge. Is it because they are less qualified? In a sense yes, in that they are given fewer opportunities, which means fewer chances for work experience, success, and career advancement. Lack of qualified, experienced minority candidates for senior positions is in some sense a vicious cycle - one that this policy would seem to try and rectify.

How successful this program will be remains to be seen (I won't be holding my breath), but I think it's a step in the right direction. Specifically, if the goal is to level the playing field (which it is, whether or not you agree that it needs leveling), I think positive reinforcement is a better route to take than the negative reinforcement of the Roonie rule, which is so easily skirted and rarely enforced that it is effectively meaningless.
blank
Smokey
3 years ago
Some will always be stirring up the "race" pot. They won't be happy until all races embrace their culture. I say celebrate your culture, but don't force it down anyone's throat.

Race should not be a consideration for any job/position. Merit should be the primary qualification, followed by personality, work history, and health requirements. Placing hiring goals/rewards based on race is unfair to those that have earned the job/promotion. Do some teams Secondary's or O Line's underperform because less than the best qualified person got hired to satisfy some quota.

The cream always rises to the top, if that policy is known/enforced, hard work would soon be rewarded again and quality would be the highest priority instead of looking to satisfy some civil activist.

Many years ago I auditioned for High School Regional Band. I had to play for three judges who were seated behind cloth barriers. I was just another number to them. In the end I was selected 2nd chair of my section. The selection process could not have been fairer. Such a colorblind policy should be standard in the NFL as well as throughout the country.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
3 years ago

Some will always be stirring up the "race" pot. They won't be happy until all races embrace their culture. I say celebrate your culture, but don't force it down anyone's throat.

Race should not be a consideration for any job/position. Merit should be the primary qualification, followed by personality, work history, and health requirements. Placing hiring goals/rewards based on race is unfair to those that have earned the job/promotion. Do some teams Secondary's or O Line's underperform because less than the best qualified person got hired to satisfy some quota.

The cream always rises to the top, if that policy is known/enforced, hard work would soon be rewarded again and quality would be the highest priority instead of looking to satisfy some civil activist.

Many years ago I auditioned for High School Regional Band. I had to play for three judges who were seated behind cloth barriers. I was just another number to them. In the end I was selected 2nd chair of my section. The selection process could not have been fairer. Such a colorblind policy should be standard in the NFL as well as throughout the country.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Wake me up when this glorious land of opportunity, equality, and merit presents itself.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

blank
Smokey
3 years ago
earthquake,

the world has never been and never will be fair, perfect, or easy. A lot of the time it's not what you know, but who you know. It may not be fair, but family, friends, neighbors, etc. do serve to help each other. Minorities do it as well, but most have had less time to be successful and develop such networks. Still the limiting factor to success is the power of your resume'. Additionally some are blessed with natural talent. Actors, salespeople, athletes, and others have gained success in spite of little or no education. Luck can play a role as well in success.

If you want to do better than someone's chart or statistical analysis then like millions of others throughout history you have to do it yourself. It's a human race and not a free buffet.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
I always find opinions like these to be fascinating. I do research on how said opinions are true and it gets proven false. My oldest came home and had a report to do. She was very upset that as a young woman, she wouldn't have many opportunities. We talked and I posed some questions to her and she later found out, she has the same opportunity as anyone else. I later told her that the only thing that could ever stop her was the girl in the mirror.

That doesn't milk the guilt some are forced to consume through the victims of America. They need to preach about inequality and show narrow minded statistics that once delved into are proven bogus. But, they refuse to comprehend the obvious. They refuse to understand their moral high horse has the foundation of a house of cards.

One of the many ways people formulate their guilt is when they hear Company X is 90% white and 10% minority, they freak out and run to their moral high horse platform and shout, INEQUALITY!! They don't care to check the demographics of the area and see that 95% are white, and only 5% are minorities.

And because these statistics get thrown around, we then get people more qualified getting passed over for those less qualified because of their sex, because of their race. The circle-jerk doesn't end there because then the common rebuttal is "how does it feel privileged white male!!".

I look forward to the day good PURE unbiased education is available for everyone. The way we are going now, I fear the victimizing of a gender, or of a race, or both is creating a growing group who are going to shun their eye of opportunity towards someone else because they are tired of hearing the fake cries. Reminds me of the story of the boy who cried wolf.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
3 years ago

earthquake,

the world has never been and never will be fair, perfect, or easy. A lot of the time it's not what you know, but who you know. It may not be fair, but family, friends, neighbors, etc. do serve to help each other. Minorities do it as well, but most have had less time to be successful and develop such networks. Still the limiting factor to success is the power of your resume'. Additionally some are blessed with natural talent. Actors, salespeople, athletes, and others have gained success in spite of little or no education. Luck can play a role as well in success.

If you want to do better than someone's chart or statistical analysis then like millions of others throughout history you have to do it yourself. It's a human race and not a free buffet.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

This is all well and good in theory. And generally, the sentiment is noble and well-intended. Unfortunately, it's not true that having a good resume will get you the same opportunities. Research shows that simply having a black or ethnic-sounding name makes it less likely that one will get a callback or interview for a position even when the candidate is exceptionally qualified for the position.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minorities-who-whiten-job-resumes-get-more-interviews 
https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/study-ethnic-sounding-name-employers-fewer-calls-back 
https://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/employers-replies-racial-names 

Going further, black and brown kids tend to live closer to the poverty line, so their access to quality education is reduced. Simply getting to the point where they are equally educated, equality qualified as an average white candidate, is an extra hurdle that they must jump. That's not to say that it can't be done, but on average, they start in a state of disadvantagement. Back to the topic of the thread, this is likely a factor in why there are fewer minorities in prominent positions in the NFL.

Generally speaking, I agree that in an ideal world, people should all be treated the same and no special considerations would need to be given. But we don't live in an ideal world, so equity rather than literal equality is often necessary. In time I think we might get there, but we're not there yet. We're only about a century removed from suffrage, and 50 years removed from the civil rights movement, and the lasting damage of slavery, Jim Crow, etc has yet to be undone.

Kevin, the difference between having some opportunity, and having the same opportunities is important to grasp. I'm not suggesting that your little girl will have no opportunity. She will likely have ample opportunity for success in life. Not as much as if she was a he, but most likely more than her mother and grandmother did, which is a sign of progress.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.