beast
3 years ago

Atlanta Falcons
The Falcons are my surprise team in 2020. They started 1-7 in 2019 but finished 6-2 in the second half of the season, including wins against San Francisco and New Orleans. The Packers always struggle to stop Julio Jones. Do we have enough firepower to keep pace? I am going to say no.

(1-3)

@ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Now the pressure is on. I suspect most will leave the Packers buried heading into this game, but they really matchup well with Tampa Bay. We can rush the passer and the Bucs weakness is their offensive line. Oh, they also have a stationary QB that cannot extend plays. With the season on the line, I think this is the upset that jump-starts the season.

(2-3)

@ Indianapolis Colts
Everybody talks about Philip Rivers, but the Colts have a productive running game. The Packers didn’t address their run defense in the off-season, and it will bite them somewhere. I vote this game due to Marlon Mack and Jonathan Taylor.

(5-5)

Philadelphia Eagles
The Packers should be able to handle the Eagles at home this time around. First, I thought they outplayed the Eagles last season. They struggled inside the red zone, which was kind of a fluke. I wanted Philly instead of Seattle in the playoffs last season. The Seahawks scared me more. This time around you have a more well-defined Green Bay offense and a defense that does play well at home. The Eagles game was the lone exception. More important, the Eagles will be coming off a Monday night game against a feisty Seattle. Six days later, they travel north to play a December game at Lambeau. Unlike the San Francisco game, this is one example of the schedule makers doing the Pack a favor.

(7-5)

@ Detroit Lions
There really is no reason why the Packers shouldn’t beat the Lions in both games. The Packers have the better roster, quarterback, coaching staff, and defense.

(8-5)

Carolina Panthers
It is December and it’s Lambeau Field. If Aaron Rodgers is healthy, then Green Bay is going to be dangerous in this game. The Panthers are going to struggle on offense, as Teddy Bridgewater lacks vertical options in the passing game.

(9-5)

I felt the Packers overachieved in 2019 and I suspect they come back to earth in 2019 due to a tougher schedule and getting less breaks. Seeing them land in the 9 to 11-win range feels right.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Great breakdown and I might have to go revisit mine, as I was thinking about the Colts winning before, but your right, with their running game and play calling and OL, plus Rivers, our defense is going to completely have their hands full.

Certainly will with the Falcons and Bucs offenses, but it's been their defense holding then back.... I think the Packers split these, still thinking they beat Falcons and lose to the Bucs.

Colts and Eagles, I want to split them too, but maybe I have it backwards, though I need to look at their defense more. But yes I'll switch and say loss against the Colts but the question is the Eagles.

So at the moment I'm 9-6 and one Eagles game decision... Packers out moved the Eagles, but the Eagles won the game by being more physical and man handling the Packers. Packers tried to get better there in the draft, but the Eagles were also so injured coming into that game, that if healthy, they're even tougher. I'll go with a Packers win 10-6 still, but I might be closer to 9 wins than 11 in my mind.

==============

I thought about making a new thread about this and maybe I still will, but I think this team might be better than last year team, but the results will be a hell lot worse, as the opponents offenses will be a hell lot better than last years.

The defense straight up carried us through a number of games (same with the Superbowl year IMO) and didn't get enough credit.... so I'm expecting a while lot of bitching about defense this year, and people making silly claims that the 49ers offense exposed this defense, when in reality, last year the Packers were just lucky as hell, facing so many poor offenses and poor QBs (5 of which, I don't believe we're starters week 1) and others (Mitch trubisky) who shoulder be starting and struggle with pressure and teams with weak OLs.

Veteran QBs carved up our defense, and this is the best group of opposing veteran QBs I've seen on a schedule that I can remember. Pettine isn't going to be able to trick them that often... gonna have to trick the protections and just try to out play them.

The one advantage the Packers defensive might have over last year's (other than the ILBer is a better fit what the scheme) is that the Packers have the pieces to fully run LaFleur system and they have been trying to add some power elements, and the offensive players will be more used to the scheme, not being new to it, and so hopefully longer offensive drives, give the defense more rest.

But when people start complaining about the defenses decline, please realize it's more about the opponents, where Packers faced weak ass QBs last year and pressured them around.... where Packers are facing some of the best this year, and their DBs will be getting burned often IMO. My prediction is we'll either be screaming for CB or DT as the biggest need next draft.

Which FYI, CB is much more needed IMO, because the scheme (at least what they ran last year, and I don't know if that will continue) helped the CBs out and they (King) still struggled a lot. Where the scheme is all about pass rush for the lineman, making it extremely hard on the DL to run block.

But my point is... if you have better coverage, you can easily adjust the scheme to help the DTs... but if you have a better DL, you really couldn't do any more to help the DBs. So better CBs gives them more options. Also the 49ers head coach said he attacked the Packers edge rushers, and he seemed to avoid Clark as much as he could, so a strong run defense isn't all about the DTs either.

UserPostedImage
3 years ago

Wow Porky, that was Nerdmann like....and I mean that in a very complementary way

Originally Posted by: KRK 

yea but he has them at 10-6..............they will have a better record than that
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Interesting to revisit how freaking wrong I was after just three games.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
Yeah, Brees doesn't look the same, I'm not sure if that's him or missing WRs he's comfortable with.

And Lions had lost of Injury and choke, especially not against the Cardinals I guess.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

How can anyone have a GAME-BY-GAME record prediction in May!??! Who the hell know and who the hell cares. Let's see what we got.

2020 Opponents

Home ( 7 - 1 )

1. W - Detroit Lions
  2. W - Atlanta Falcons
  3. W - Minnesota Vikings
  4. W - Jacksonville Jaguars
  5. W - Chicago Bears
  6. W - Philadelphia Eagles
  7. W - Carolina Panthers
  8. L - Tennessee Titans

Away ( 2 - 6 )
  1. L - Minnesota Vikings
  2. L - New Orleans Saints
  3. L - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  4. L - Houston Texans
  5. L - San Francisco 49ers
  6. L - Indianapolis Colts
  7. W - Detroit Lions
  8. W - Chicago Bears

This blends with what I'm thinking about the Packers in 2020. I'm thinking we have probably a ~10 win team so predicting them to go 9-7 right now goes with that. I wanted to put a W by the Buccaneers, but Aaron Rodgers has played like horseshit two out of three times in Tampa Bay.

So that's my early thoughts on the schedule. What is your game-by-game prediction?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Looks like I had us going 3 -1 in the final quarter of the regular season. I think that is likely.

W - @Detroit Lions
W - Carolina Panthers
L - Tennessee Titans
W - @Chicago Bears

I wouldn't be shocked if they drop the Panthers game if McCaffery is back.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
I'm happy to say I nailed it. How'd you do?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago

I'm happy to say I nailed it. How'd you do?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Thanks for bringing this thread back Kevin!
Looks like I was more “Nostrildumass” in my picks!
And I’m glad they did so much better then my 9-7!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago

2020 Opponents

Home ( 7 - 1 )

1. W - Detroit Lions
  2. W - Atlanta Falcons
  3. W - Minnesota Vikings
  4. W - Jacksonville Jaguars
  5. W - Chicago Bears
  6. L - Philadelphia Eagles
  7. W - Carolina Panthers
  8. W - Tennessee Titans

Away ( 5 - 3 )
  1. L - Minnesota Vikings
  2. L - New Orleans Saints
  3. W - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  4. W - Houston Texans
  5. L - San Francisco 49ers
  6. W - Indianapolis Colts
  7. W - Detroit Lions
  8. W - Chicago Bears

12-4. I can see them pulling the upset in NO and beating Phil but 15-1 is a bit much.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Close on the record but missed on which teams. I was pretty sure they could go 13-3 again but I wimped out and dropped them to 12-4 under all the pressure of the experts saying they would regress.

UserPostedImage
3 years ago
I had em at 12-4
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2m) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.