nerdmann
3 years ago
They might be thinking of Jenkins as the new LT. Younger, would save a shit ton of cap space, which is at a premium right now.

Just sayin.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
3 years ago

Damn the Texans! Their GM make an extremely important error, not locking up LT Tunsil new contract when they traded for him, and followed it up by extremely over paying market value for him... and now Bak wants to beat that.

Only two OTs in all of football is earning more than $16.5 million per year... (though they might be a number in the coming years about to break that).

We can't give everyone over market deals, we just can't... but can we afford to not resign Bak as well? We let Bulaga go, any RT looks like a mess, other than some fans suggesting the MAYBE Jenkins is the long term starter there, but that's speculation and that would open an LG hole.

We need to draft more OTs, DTs and CBs that's for damn sure...

Originally Posted by: beast 

These contracts are getting out of control.
At some point, you have to say NO.
I wish it was more like the 1960s, when guys played for the love of the game. They had to take jobs during the summer to make enough to get by.
Now they are multi millionaires trying to out do other multi millionaires.

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
3 years ago
As much as I like Bhaktieri that’s simply too much money to shell out for him!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
What he would like to get and what he ultimately will settle for are two different numbers. I would like to get $22 mil a year too. I won't Bak won't either. Not even no the open market. Especially not with the cap shrinking next year. He will get around $18 a year. Still pretty elite money.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
I could be wrong, but I'd guess guys in the 1960s were trying to get as much money as they could too...

And Packers are in a tough spot, I don't think we can have questions at both OT spots. Jenkins might be able to solve one, but I'm thinking more RT than LT.

Bak probably can get top of the market deal from one of the teams with a lot of cap space, he is elite enough. Depends on how bullheaded he is about getting too of market price.

Of course, you could probably pay muliple other guys, but they wouldn't be nearly as good as Bak.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
3 years ago
Best left tackle in football deserves to be paid like it. He’s been pretty durable too.

I love Aaron Jones but he would be easier to replace than Bak.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Best left tackle in football deserves to be paid like it. He’s been pretty durable too.

I love Aaron Jones but he would be easier to replace than Bak.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Yes the best LT deserve to be paid like the best, but that implies that the 11th best OT doesn't get paid 33% more than any other current LT contract, because that was a bit ridiculous price hike, meaning he didn't deserve that mega contract, so not everyone gets what they deserve, some get more, some get less.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
I'd just like to point out that if the Packers and Rodgers took the contract I offered up as an option, both parties would be better off. Jus. Sayin!!

I could be wrong, but I'd guess guys in the 1960s were trying to get as much money as they could too...

And Packers are in a tough spot, I don't think we can have questions at both OT spots. Jenkins might be able to solve one, but I'm thinking more RT than LT.

Bak probably can get top of the market deal from one of the teams with a lot of cap space, he is elite enough. Depends on how bullheaded he is about getting too of market price.

Of course, you could probably pay muliple other guys, but they wouldn't be nearly as good as Bak.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yes, the players have always tried to get as much as they could. Back then, there wasn't that big of a slice of pie to argue over. Football in the 60's was less of a career choice than a hobby. Players in today's game do charity work, commercials, etc during the off-season. Players in the 60's often went to work a summer job.

Bakhtiari shouldn't be paid Tunsil money by the Packers. I like him. I hate to lose him as a Packers fan. I just feel the salary cap is gonna take a dip and we're already bent over the barrel for our amazing QB.

2021 LT Cap Hits 
[list=1]
  • Jake Matthews $20.2 million
  • DJ Humphries $19.9 million
  • Laremy Tunsil $19.4 million
  • Nate Solder $16.4 million
  • Terron Armstead $16.2 million[/list]

• I don't know how we can Bakhtiari. Packers only have ~$6 million in salary cap space for 2021. We have over 30% of the cap used up in two guys. Za'Darius Smith and Aaron Rodgers.

I'm thinking we'll need to do something with some of these contracts to alleviate some of the cap space. I wouldn't expect any deal with Bakhtiari until we hear bout some of the contracts being restructured.
     image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
    UserPostedImage
    porky88
    3 years ago
    The idea that guys in the '60s played for the love and not the money is just silly. Yes, you had those playing for love and you have those playing for love right now. They all (collectively) wanted to get paid. The market was very different back then. You didn't have TV deals on the scope they are now and the teams weren't generating the revenue then that they are now. We went through a football boom and it's been consistently growing since the 1990s. The cash is trickling down to the players. FYI, this is very much how the free market works. While the NFL doesn't always embrace this philosophy (e.g., revenue sharing), it certainly should reward its employees for continuously putting on product with a ton of demand. The idea is to see more cash flow to the employer, so he or she can reward his or her employees. We should not exempt professional sports from this methodology.

This brings me to Bakhtiari. Is 20M per year for a OLT a lot of money? Yes, if we compare it to the current market. Did the Texans over inflate the market? Yes, they absolutely did. Will 20M be lot of money for an OLT in 4 or 5 years? I think not. You look at the steady growth of contracts in the NFL, especially for OLTs, and it is trending upward. It may hit us for a year or two (as I do think revenue will dip due to the Pandemic), but the contract will look better and better as things return to normal and cap goes back up.

Additionally, this is the second most important position on the offense. When it comes to roster-building, teams want to throw the ball and stop the pass. This means QB, pass protection, pass rush, and pass defense. In that context, Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiarii, Za'Darius Smith, and Jaire Alexander are probably the most valuable Packers in terms of roster-building. I would not let any of them go at this time.
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.