Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Last season GB began using an offensive system similar to the ones used by the LA Rams and the Tennessee Titans. It places greater weight on running than passing. Furthermore, a greater variety of plays are run from less formations and defenses can't as easily target plays. Passing still plays an important role, but less urgent need is placed on it if the ground game is working well.

IMO, GB will have a good to sometimes great set of RBs in 2020. The major factor will come from the blocking. I believe that the run blocking will improve this season as last seasons game experience will add to greater cohesiveness. Pass blocking will also show some improvement.

The weakest part of the GB Offense will again rest with the WRs. Their consistent failure to get open for Rodgers resulted in his having to hold the football too long and too often. Rodgers does not want to have to run for his life every time he runs a passing play. His great talent and physical abilities allow him to have success outside the pocket, but it puts him in more danger of another injury. More focus on timing plays and opposing player tendencies can only help.

TE play is the wildcard for 2020. Better play can add much to both the passing and running attacks for the Packers.

The schedule, injuries, weather, and many other factors must be taken into account when we look forward to the 2020 NFL season. This thread is to discuss any and all factors that effect the Packers 2020 Offense. From coaching to player personal to strength conditioning to the GM, let's discuss more than a player or uniform colors. Post what you find Good or Bad or Ugly about GB;s next season offense.

Thank You

UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
3 years ago
I remember going into last season, I was excited about the the youth at WR, especially with the possibility of GMO becoming a solid #2 in the lineup. For decades, the coaching staff (and QB) was always able to get another WR ready to step up into that starter role.

It clearly did not turn out that way in 2019 with the WR/QB combo not living up to expectations. Maybe this was partly due to the shift to a scheme with much more emphasis on RB and TE. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised with the WR performance this year given my expectations have been re-calibrated.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Smokey
  • Smokey
3 years ago
Every year sees changes to the Packers. This edition has great potential, but the WRs and TEs will be watched very closely.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
Very good write up Smokey, and don't forget 49ers, as LaFleur and Shanahan worked together for a long time.

The schedule, injuries, weather, and many other factors must be taken into account when we look forward to the 2020 NFL season. This thread is to discuss any and all factors that effect the Packers 2020 Offense. From coaching to player personal to strength conditioning to the GM, let's discuss more than a player or uniform colors. Post what you find Good or Bad or Ugly about GB;s next season offense.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

In general, I think the Packers' 2020 opponents will have better offenses and worse defenses than the 2019 opponents, meaning that the Packers offense will look better automatically even without improvement (opposite for defense).

Though I think it'll be hard to stay as healthy as the Packers did last year, I mean we lost OG Taylor, S Greene, Bulaga for a game or two and for four games against the weakest defenses we lost WR Adams and Bulaga for a game or so? And other than Greene, and Bulaga for the Eagles game, we had backups ready for those times.

I think the WRs will play better, as the youngsters should improve, especially if they got a good coach there now (IF). And the slot role is a play making role in this offense and we got Funchess and Sternberger who might be great fits for the role.

Rodgers said we didn't have the pieces in place last year to call audibles at times, because the team was too new to the system and didn't have the right verstile pieces (I think they do now, though some like the new rookie TE might need a year to learn), and this system almost always has a power RB as a starter, which we didn't have and now we do.

Also, if we're talking weakness and throwing the WRs under the bus (which they were absolutely the problem at times), we also need to mention Rodgers struggles. There were times Rodgers reminded me of Micheal Vick in terms of, they can at times make the hardest and toughest throws look extremely easy, but then turn around and screw up on passes high schoolers are expected to get right because their footwork on the shorter patterns was crap. At bare minimum, Rodgers needs to be able to consistently hit the RB on the short wide outside routes, where at times he was all over the place missing a wide open back with under and over throws , just tossing it will all arm and little footwork, not even giving them a chance to catch it. That killed drives at times.

My biggest concern on is the OL. Bulaga is one of the best RT in the NFL and he does better than a number of starting LTs too.

This is a wild guess but I think they're having Turner and Wagner compete for the starting RT spot. With Taylor at RG should Turner win. But there is zero chance that the pass blocking by itself will be as good as last year, with losing Bulaga.

That being said, we have TE Lewis to help out, and two move TEs now.

As I've said in other threads, I think they're running heavy and with a lot more 2 TEs sets and we'll be bringing the play action pass back which will help the OL and recievers.

And our head coach and offensive coordinate have a ton of experience with this, as their time with the Rams, Titans and Jaguars.

Though Rodgers has no experience with this, and may need to adjust, just like he's adjusting to new routes and basically the opposite concepts of what he's had his whole career, of hold the ball and extend the play, put more pressure on yourself, to get the dang ball out, put less pressure on yourself, which I think Rodgers will always struggle a bit with, as he's had so much success with the opposite. But he should come around in time.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
3 years ago
Special Teams is both offensive and defensive. On the offensive side of that coin, I'd really like to see better returns and even a few TDs as well in 2020.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

Special Teams is both offensive and defensive. On the offensive side of that coin, I'd really like to see better returns and even a few TDs as well in 2020.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Speaking of our returner, I'm fully expecting him to be a full on gadget speed player, used as both a decoy and speed option at RB and WR.

And using him and a healthy MVS as two speed guys with a power runner at the same time could cause some defenses problems, as to who does the Safety help? Deep right, deep left, or run defense.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
3 years ago
Kick returns ? Teams usually choose a quick and sure handed fellow the job. Could we see a new face this season returning kicks for the Packers?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (46m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.