Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
The murder of Floyd was horrible. Putting your knee on a mans neck, keeping it there until he’s dead is wrong. He was on the ground and handcuffed, no longer a threat. The cop that did it is charged with murder. And rightfully so in my view.
Now, had Floyd not broke the law, and resisted arrest, none of that would have happened. There are consequences to a person’s actions. So he deserves some of the blame for what happened. He’s not innocent in this. But he did not deserve to die because of it.

There is a difference in protesting what is seen as injustice, and using that injustice as an excuse to riot and loot. And that is what the huge majority of these “protests” is really all about. Burning down businesses and stealing from stores, how is that having any positive spin that would make people turn to their side? It has negative results as far as anyone on the outside. At least 5 people have died in these riots, with many more injured.
The people that are doing these riots, are just animals. They don’t give a damn about Floyd. They just want an excuse to act like animals and profit by it by stealing and destroying other people’s property.
“Hey! A man was killed by the police! Let’s go burn down some buildings and get a big screen TV!”
It’s the same response these types of people have when one of their sports teams wins a championship.

I’m saying what a lot of people are thinking, but are afraid to say.
Do these rioters really think that their actions will put a positive spin, to get people into their view? Or will it reinforce a negative view?
Fact is, they really don’t care. They just enjoy excuses to do these horrible things.
Floyd’s family is standing up against these riots. They are showing more class then any of these so called protesters.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
From every report I've seen George Floyd never resisted arrest and was gasping that he could not breath. He was not believed because he was a black man and could not be trusted. Additionally, police like to show that they can be as cruel as they please in order to enforce their authority both physically and physiologically.
The protest is not consistent with M.L.King's non violent philosophy, this is mainly due to a lack of leadership in the black american population. Instead instigators in the various cities have fired up the population and the anger over this latest episode has driven the crowds to violence. The looting comes from those that see an opportunity to take advantage of the situation. Local/State Police knew where the protesting would take place, but were either late or poorly positioned to stop the property damage.
One report I saw concerned a black fireman who had saved for years to open a restaurant. He saw his business looted and burned to the ground. It reminds me of past riots that also did more damage to minority businesses than hurt any others in a critical way.
Leaders in Minneapolis failed to act promptly to what most other Americans saw from the first view of the incident and the lack of action triggered the protest. All three of the policemen should have been arrested on day one on lesser charges as the greater charges were evaluated.
This US President threw gas on the fire with his careless comments. Yet another case of no leadership from the top.

Change must take place, but blacks don't want to embrace the white culture and whites don't want to embrace the black culture. Also, due to the most crimes being committed by minorities, Police too often deal harsher with minorities. Additionally, racism still exist in ALL races in America. It is not just a white or black or yellow or red issue. Good and Bad exist in all races and it always will be so. How society reacts to events like the murder of George Floyd determine how the public reacts. Floyd was suspected of passing bad money, his arrest does not confirm his guilt or innocence, that's for a Judge and a jury to determine. Too often people assume that because someone was arrested that they must be guilty, after all Police never arrest the innocent.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
3 years ago
Well, from what I heard, he did resist. Had he complied with the police, it wouldn’t have escalated. He did pass a counterfeit $20. Is that legal? I also know he did jail time for robbery.
If people would do as I was taught when pulled over by police, and treated the cops (or any authority person) with respect , “yes sir, no sir” and do as they say, you would not have these things happening.

And making ANY excuse for rioters is lame. There is no excuse to act like animals and steal and destroy others hard earned property and goods. These punks are criminals, period. And how many more will die during these riots?
How many black people killed other blacks in Chicago over the last holiday? I believe it was 10. Do “black lives matter” ONLY when they die at the hands of white cops? Where are the protests over the hundreds of blacks killed by other blacks in this country each year? You don’t see Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton screaming about that.
I take it that means blacks killing blacks is acceptable.
As long as people make excuses for these kinds of actions, they will never end.
To protest is one thing, to murder and destroy is another. And rioting is NOT protesting. It’s terrorism.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
From all the VIDEO I've seen, George Floyd did not resist. The video from the individual officers at the scene have not been released, why? Hearsay? Who is dead and how did he die is the issue.

I don't believe I've heard Jackson or Sharpton calling for violence, looting, or even bad language. The protesters have a valid case, and protesters have been a part of America's history. Our Founding Fathers were protesters against England's heavy handed policies. If you believe it is just about George Floyd, then your not informed.

More so as this nationwide protest continues, it is becoming clear that outside activist have been fueling the violence and the looting. Protest have taken place in less prominent communities with no law violations.

Blacks in America are mad as hell and have a right to be. Being profiled as dangerous because you have a darker skin color is beyond wrong. Rioting, looting, and violence are not what most of the protesters want. Different fringe elements are the ones causing the trouble. As in the past, looters caught on video will be tracked down and charged. Most of the businesses will recover their losses through their Insurance.

It is one thing to protest, but what changes need to take place? How do you change racist thinking that continues to fuel these outrages. IMO, economic realities are at the core of the problem. Until the percentages of the haves and the have not's narrows. it will only continue to get worse. America needs a 1950's style buildup of it middle class. This time all races would benefit and more pride in lifestyle status would foster less crime and more focus on education. Restrictions on imports may be necessary to once again see TVs, Refrigerators, and other products be made in America once again. It may not cure the racist problem, but it would be a start.

As for "murder in America", drugs and other criminal activities most often are the cause. Where I live, it is not unusual to see reports of murder 5 to 6 times or more per year in the same housing area. Increasing middle class numbers can do more to solve many of Americas problems than any other solution. It's better than building, filling, and paying for more and more prisons.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Well, from what I heard, he did resist. Had he complied with the police, it wouldn’t have escalated. He did pass a counterfeit $20. Is that legal? I also know he did jail time for robbery.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Possessing a counterfeit $20 bill does not necessitate death. Look at the video and you will see him handcuffed and multiple officers around. He was no longer a threat and therefore the excessive force was not needed nor necessary. Often times, people who have counterfeit money don't even realize it -- that's something else to consider when you try to condone the malice actions of the officer who knelt on him until he died.

As for the rioters, they can go to hell. They are causing everyone financially. The owners will probably get some kind of aid that is paid by the tax payers. The looters are going to be locked up which is paid for by the tax payers.

As for the protesters, do it peaceful and with purpose. The videos I've seen -- I see a plethora of people with their phones out and that tells me they are more about 'look at me' than the cause of the protest.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
Excessive force by police sometimes is a display to the community that they can/will deal harshly with people. That does not say that racism does not enter the equation. Some police officers are just plain bullies and get off on dominating others. Additionally, I suspect that a lot of people have never been properly instructed/trained on how to respond to police officers. While you may know that you are not a threat to the officer, the officer is trained to treat everyone as a threat until they are evaluated otherwise. So resisting an officer in any manor can just serve to elevate their already active threat scale.

The counterfeit money issue may not be resolved as George Floyd can no longer offer any information about it. His past record was not an issue in his arrest, but the already charged former officer may have had prior contact with Floyd.

As for noticing that protesters had their phones out, if you went anywhere in the last few years you will see people with their phones out 100% of the time. In fact lots of people are so addicted to their phones that they even shower with their phones. So people with phones in a protesting crowd does not look different from people at a sports event or at a shopping mall (pre-pandemic). I think some people sleep with their smart phones.

I've noticed that some of the protest in less prominent places have no violence, looting, or property destruction. Reports from NYC have shown that 1 in 7 of those arrested were not from NYC. Agitators along with the expected criminal element seem to be the ones fueling the trouble. Taxes do pay the state and local police cost, but I've never heard of a business that did not have loads of insurance to cover such losses. Dealing with arresting, jailing, and the court process will cost money, but courts charge court cost fees that fall upon the convicted to pay. It does cost more to process the lawbreakers, but if it were a natural disaster or a terrorist act like Oklahoma City or the World Trade Center attacks, funding would found to deal with the situation.

IMO, protesting and rioting are two separate issues. Union Strikers protest peacefully, people get permits and protest at the white house or at state legislators without rioting. Most protesters are there to support their protest and don't want to see the unrest turn into a riot, but get caught up in the activity. We hear the protest, but we hear few solutions. I believe that a revival of the middle class that includes minorities can serve to help resolve much of the social inequality that are at the root of the problem. Racism will still exist among the races, but a stronger middle class could see a decrease in a lot of what is happening and in the end put America in a stronger place economically as well.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
Cheesey, Z2C, and Smokey, You all make excellent points. My read:
[list][*]There is video that he resisted (even AFTER being put in the back seat), but[*]So what. the cops behavior was bullshit. They should all be fired, charged, and sentenced, after due process[*]the rioters are scum. IMO brutal lethal force, if necessary, and it appears it is, is the only way this is going to stop. I am thinking they should watch what the Chicago police did the 1968 convention, then take it up a notch[*]start with the white ones, they are the professional antagonists (yes, I am white)[*]Ultimately, the problem re looting is Soros and Antifa. As the great Al McGuire used to say, "cut of the head, and the body will die."[/list]
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
3 years ago
First, thanks KRK.
Kevin, my point about him not complying with the cops is, had he complied, chances are he wouldn’t have ended up on the ground in the first place.
1. Don’t commit a crime, and you have nothing to worry about.
2. If you are stupid enough to commit a crime and get caught, do not resist the police. Do what they tell you to do!

The police have a hard enough job. You have to be crazy to want to be a cop OR a public school teacher.
What is severely lacking today is parents teaching their kids (black and white) to respect any authority.
I have talked to many cops, and they all say how they get verbally abused all the time, even in normal traffic stops, by young people. Kids are taught that they have “rights”, not responsibility. That is a major problem in America. Unless you change the mindset of the people, nothing will change.
And the middle class....ho do they get to be middle class? By hard work. Which too many think they don’t need to do that. They want everything, but feel it should be handed to them. They only care about themselves. Not who they hurt.
And as I said, where is the outrage by BLM when it comes to the hundreds of black people killed by blacks? Why do black lives only matter if it has something to do with white cops?
If there were protests over that, then maybe there would be some change.
Poor doesn’t give you an excuse to riot or murder people.
People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions.
But I’m afraid that will never happen. Easier to play the race card.
Floyd’s death is sad. And it will be paid for just like any murder should be.
Watch live PD, and see how many people give attitude when pulled over. I sure wouldn’t want to put up with that crap every day. Plus you add the very possibility of getting shot at each pull over. Cops don’t have it easy, and most people go out of their way to make it even more stressful for them.
99.9% of the police are good, decent people. Why do we hear so little about them? Only the bad crap, which some use as an excuse to treat all cops disrespectfully.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago

99.9% of the police are good, decent people. Why do we hear so little about them? Only the bad crap, which some use as an excuse to treat all cops disrespectfully.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I hate to nitpick, but I actually don't quite agree with that.

90%+...sure
95%...maybe
99%...no chance

Further, all of the cops involved in the incident knew exactly what was going on...and from what I understand, they didn't say or do squat to stop the real bad cop. If you are not part of the the solution, you are part of the problem. (Please...I am not excusing the rioting per my previous post)

But there are a few cops who are on ego trips...maybe they have little tools, maybe they never got the girl in high school. They are cops because they want someone to respect them, and occasionally fear them. Then, there are racist ones. If you don't believe me, listen to Senator Tim Scott from S.C., a conservative Republican black guy who experiences it first hand.

99% That's the same BS platitude I hear about "the 99% of guys in FBI are good honest people". If all those good honest people had done something other than stand around with their fingers up their asses during the whole Russia charade, we wouldn't have had to deal that farce for 3 years. Again, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

And please, everyone spare me the 99% of protesters are peaceful. That's BS as well.

Sorry to bitch, but I guess I am tired of all the free passes getting passed around....except for people who want to go to church.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
3 years ago
I agree that the other cops should have pulled him off the guy. My guess is, the bad cop is a bully, who the other cops were afraid of.
So they sat there with their collective thumbs up their butts.
They should have helped Floyd.
Now they will also have to deal with the consequences of their inaction.

Even if it’s “only” 90% of the cops that are good (which I think is low) it’s still the majority. And as I said before, cops today get hassled by people that they pull over. Would you like to be trying to do your job, and constantly be treated like crap?
I can see how that could destroy a person.
Yet who do the citizens call when they have trouble? The drug dealer down the street? Nope. The “hated, awful police”.
I in no way am making excuses for the bad cop. I have stated in every post that he needs to be tried in court for what he did.
But to bury all cops because of this jerk is not fair at all. Any more then saying all black people are criminals.
UserPostedImage