Smokey
3 years ago
Although it is rather early for a discussion of the 53 man roster, I don't see any dramatic changes over past roster selections. Most of the positions will be filled by returning veterans or FAs. The final 6 to 8 players can sometimes not be those that most had assumed would make the cut. Moreover, between now and September, trades, injuries, unforeseen events, and more can take place.

For me the biggest TC show will be with the WR corps. Will Funchees be a starter? Will Lazard get beat out for a starting slot?

Current depth charts show GB currently with 11 WRs, will 6 WRs be on the final roster?
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
I was near to beginning another thread on this theme when I discovered this one again. With just a few weeks until the final 53 man roster is official, some positions look set as others are still being competed for.

WR, TE, LB, and other positions are under close observation. I believe the 2020 Packers will be even stronger than the 2019 Packers were. I am most excited about (R) RB A.J.Dillion. He has already impressed the media with his size and I believe he will give Aaron Jones an ongoing challenge for playing time moving forward.

The O and D lines look good at this time. Rickey Wagner looks to replace Brian Bulaga at RT with no drop in efficiency.

The LB competition is my greatest interest. Quality LBs, to me, are the make or break for a Defense and I have high hopes for GB's 2020 starting LBs.

Aside from Adams, the WRs are a subject for discussion. I include the TEs in a receiver discussion too. However as this is the 2nd year under HC LaFleur's Offensive System and much of the system will be already known to many. This could mean they may be building on last season and ready to do better.

The final Packer Depth Chart might contain a few surprises, but I don't foresee any new/expensive additions. Even with fewer fans in the stands, the Packers may be SB ready this season.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Updated 53 man mock roster prediction

Out list: Start with the guys that are out (for one reason or another)
WR Funchess (Covid-19 opt out)
OG Stepaniak (ACL tear around new years, probably going to start on the PUP and end up on the IR)
ILB Bolton (Maybe a knee injury? Last preseason)
CB Ento (broke a foot bone, recently got surgery, might of had the 6th CB if healthy)
RB Taylor (I believe injured in college and off season surgery, I was surprised he wasn't drafted in the 7th round)

Offense They seem to be going for more versatile guys that can be used in multiple ways
QB: (3) Rodgers, Boyle, Love
RB: (3) Jones, J Williams, Dillon
FB: (0)
WR: (6) Adams, Lazard, MVS, St. Brown, Ervin, Kumerow
TE: (4) Sternberger, Lewis, Deguara, Tonyan
OT: (3) Bakhtiari, Turner, Wagner
OG: (3) Jenkins, Taylor, Runyan
OC: (3) Linsley, Patrick, Hanson

Notes:
~ Last 4 to make it (not in order): WR Kumerow, TE Tonyan, IOL Patrick and C Hanson
~ Last 4 to miss it (not in order): RB D Williams, FB Lovett, WR Shepherd, OT Light

~ I'm absolutely hating this OT depth... of course, that's partly because I'm used to pass heavy systems and having two very good quality starters, but still Turner hasn't proven he can pass protect well, and Wagner hasn't proven he can stay healthy. But we better become better at running the ball and short passes or this team could be in potential trouble. Also why they might keep Light around, as we really got no one to back-up LT right now. But sometimes you got to make tough calls. That being said, the Packers it 40.2% of the time last year (17th most)... and are expecting to run it even more this year. In 2019, 7 teams run the ball 45% of the time... and 6 of them made the playoffs. Ravens, 49ers, Titans, Vikings, Colts, Seahawks and Bills.

~ I believe LaFleur would love to keep RB D. Williams and FB Lovett around. D. Williams has very good potential in this system, but still hasn't put it all together, but give him one more year with Jones and J. Williams both being FAs, and he might be ready then. Lovett (like TE Deguara) offers tons of versatility, which allows the offense to look more complex than it actually is, and what LaFelur is totally going for.

~ Would NOT be Surprised Calls: They kept OT Light over C Patrick or C Hanson

~ Potential Surprise Calls: They go with 4 true WRs (and Ervin as #5) and keep FB Lovett (or D. Williams) on the 53 man roster.

Defense In 2019, the Packers lead the NFL in running dime package (aka 6 DBs) 52% of the time, because Pettine demands coverage ability and the LBers couldn't cover... Kirksey (according to Pettine) can, but even so, I'm expecting more nickel (5 DBs). Also expecting them to try to run a lot with 3 OLBers on the field at once with Z. Smith at interior DL with Clark at times (maybe Gary too)

DL Run Cloggers: (2) Lowry, Lancaster
DL Pass Rushers: (3) Clark, Keke, Adams
Heavy OLBers: (2) Z Smith, Gary
OLB: (3) P Smith, T. Williams, Garvin
ILB: (4) Kirksey, Martin, Burks, Summers
CB: (6) Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Samuels
S: (5) Savage, Amos, Greene, Scott, Redmond

Notes:
~ Last 5 to make it (not in order): DL Adams, OLB T. Williams, OLB Garvin, CB Samuels, S Redmond
~ Last 3 to miss it (not in order): DL Previlon, OLB Ramsey, CB Amos

~ Easy divide: Honestly, I don't remember a cut down ever being this darn easy... which maybe means I'm missing something, or they'll make some claims after the cut deadline, but I'm just note seeing many areas where the guys missing the roster are changeling the guys I have making it. Yes, all the OLBers are getting tons of hype, but I chalk that up to the OT depth sucking, just as much as we might have some interesting future potential guys.

~ Adams started in base package once again, and get injured once again. But I think him in there with the starters is quite interesting and telling, as last year by almost all accounts, he played like shit. But coaches either see physical potential there and are trying to pull it out of him, that and/or they're saying this is your last shot... put up and shut up. One coach said, Adams always gives amazing effort and has the physical potential, (I forget the exact words but something like) but they have to make sure he knows where he's going. In other words, he still isn't assignment sure and is probably football dumb. Yet we don't really got anyone to really push him, except Keke, which sounds like he's improving. Lowry and Lancaster are solid back-ups but don't have much upside potential.

~ CB battle: Based on rumors, CB Ento and CB Samuels might of had a good battle going for the 6th CB spot and then Ento breaks a bone in his foot. But I also won't completely count out former CFL CB Amos.

~ The Packers normally keep only 4 OLBers, but since I believe they're using them to help the DTs, I'm guessing they keep a 5th guy around, also because draft pick Garvin might clearly be the 5th OLBer, and he has a lot of physical potential and I think they'd prefer not risk losing that, even if they're basically red shirting him.

~ S Redmond makes it because of STs ... He was improving at SS, after being at CB for most of his career, but is there someone more valuable? I'm tempted to release SS Redmond to keep FB Lovett but then who'd lead ST Gunner?

~ Would NOT be Surprised Calls: They make a claim or two off other team's rosters cuts. Gute normally has tried to claim a couple of guys (last year Browns, Giants and Dolphins, basically claimed blocked everyone, as they claimed lots of guys which blocked other teams lower on the list that claimed the same player).

~ Potential Surprise Calls: They release DT Adams or Lancaster. Adams has had his struggles and I haven't heard anything about Lancaster this preseason, but they demoted him to behind Adams for some reason. But also it'd be surprised me to see them gone before the season starts.

Special Teams
ST: (3) K Crosby, P Scott, LS Bradley

~ Yeah - they're still here.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
I really wish I could get into football this season. It's awesome seeing you guys trying to do a 53 projection. I just got this sinking feeling I'll get excited, ramped up and then it'll be postponed or cancelled.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
Beast, thank you so much for posting this. Your focus and thoughtfulness is commendable.

Further, it reminds me of what sports is supposed to be about, not what it has become.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

I really wish I could get into football this season. It's awesome seeing you guys trying to do a 53 projection. I just got this sinking feeling I'll get excited, ramped up and then it'll be postponed or cancelled.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm confident they're play week 1, and once they play week 1, I THINK (not sure), a number of the veterans contracts become locked/guaranteed, which I'm thinking will give the owners no reason to cancel, as they're be trying to then at least break even, if not make money.

Beast, thank you so much for posting this. Your focus and thoughtfulness is commendable.

Further, it reminds me of what sports is supposed to be about, not what it has become.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

It's all what you make of it, focus on what annoying you and you get annoyed. Focus on what you enjoy, and you get enjoyment (unless something breaks your heart, but then hopefully you find enjoyment elsewhere).

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
another good list beast. I particularly enjoy your reasoning. I might not agree with everyone on your roster but I respect it. Maybe I will put together a list in the next day or two.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

another good list beast. I particularly enjoy your reasoning. I might not agree with everyone on your roster but I respect it. Maybe I will put together a list in the next day or two.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Please do, or at the very least tell me who you disagree with, just get the thoughts going (even if I do defend my selections).

But I think if depends on how much they like FB Lovett, they might find a way for him to make it.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago

Please do, or at the very least tell me who you disagree with, just get the thoughts going (even if I do defend my selections).

But I think if depends on how much they like FB Lovett, they might find a way for him to make it.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Let's see,
I like how you begin by reminding everyone who won't be on the open day roster due to injury or opting out. It's a nice refresher.

I'll put up my list in a moment but I think GB is going to need 4 RBs if they are going to be slightly more dependent on the run. Add Dex Williams. In addition I don't see how they will be able to keep both A Jones and J Williams next year. They will need a third back to go along with what I assume will be Jones and Dillian next year. (Plus a #4 to be named later.)

Kumerow is the odd man out. He's the oldest of the WR corps. I see MLF opting to go with someone slightly younger who has roughly the same abilities and will cost a few shekels less. My vote is for Malik Turner to take Allison's place on the team as the token former Illini for me. It won't be a shocker is Turner or Shepherd take the spot.

Thank you for putting Deguara as a TE. He is not a FB.

I ran out of room and I bumped Patrick. I don't like it but I have 26 on offense. I console myself by saying Love is #26. If there's an injury to Linsley slide Jenkins to C, Taylor back at LG and putting Billy Turner at RG.

Breaking the DL into run cloggers and pass rushers is cleaver. Same for heavy OLB.

As you point out there will be a couple of surprise moves. It's difficult to factor the UDFA this year. They might end up on the PS for a few weeks before moving up.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
Offense (26)
QB-3
Aaron Rodgers
Tim Boyle
Jordan Love

RB-4
Aaron Jones
AJ Dillon
Jamaal Williams
Dexter Williams

WR-6
Davante Adams
Allen Lazard
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Equanimeous St. Brown
Malik Turner / Darrius Shepherd / Malik Taylor Going with Turner.
Tyler Ervin I am sticking Evin at the bottom of the WR list although he's a RB/KR who is technically ahead of WR5.

TE-4
Marcedes Lewis
Jace Sternberger
Josiah Deguara
Robert Tonyan

OT-3
David Bakhtiari
Ricky Wagner
Alex Light / Yosh Nijman I am going with Light.

OG-3
Elgton Jenkins
Lane Taylor
Billy Turner
Jon Runyan

C-2
Corey Linsley
Jake Hanson

Defense (24)

DL-5
Kenny Clark
Montravius Adams
Dean Lowry
Kingsley Keke
Tyler Lancaster
DL seems a little light (no pun intended) but they are in base defense so infrequently and I can see the Smiths and Gary being on the field with Clark often.

OLB-4
Za'Darius Smith
Preston Smith
Rashan Gary
Jonathan Garvin

ILB-4
Christian Kirskey
Kamal Martin
Ty Summers
Oren Burks Do I really have to have Burks?

CB-6
Jaire Alexander
Kevin King
Josh Jackson
Chandon Sullivan
Ka'dar Hollman
Stanford Samuels

S-5
Darnell Savage
Adrian Amos
Raven Greene
Vernon Scott
Will Redmond
I had left Redmond off the list but opted for him instead of another DL or LB.
Normally I go with 6 CB and 4 S but if Greene plays some ILB it makes sense to add one more. Scott could end up on the PS.

Special Teams (3)
K Mason Crosby
P JK Scott
LS Hunter Bradley

edit- Veldheer is on speed dial after they see how Wagner performs in Week 1. T Williams around week 4 or 5.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.