wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

One of the Packers’ final picks of the draft could provide some upside in filling the team’s revolving door at hybrid linebacker, while providing depth at safety and on special teams. For several years, the Green Bay Packers  have been searching for a reliable impact player to fill the defense’s ever-evolving hybrid linebacker position.
The Packers struck out when using former second-round pick Josh Jones  in that role before experimenting with players such as Raven Greene , Adrian Amos , Will Redmond , Josh Jackson , and Ibraheim Campbell. With Campbell, perhaps the most impressive of the bunch, moving to Tennessee, the Packers faced another predicament in trying to find a versatile replacement when the 2020 NFL Draft  rolled around.
The Packers may have found their eventual answer in TCU’s Vernon Scott, selecting the senior safety in the seventh round. While Scott may not be field-ready immediately as a late blooming college player, he could represent an intriguing long-term option in the event that Greene  cannot recapture some of the ability he showed prior to injury early in 2019.
Besides playing the traditional safety position, Scott often found himself lined up in the slot, where he was able to serve in coverage against receivers and tight ends as well as patrol the edge in run support and as a blitzer. Packers General Manager Brian Gutekunst noted that Scott’s versatility was his calling card in post-draft interviews, while acknowledging that his best play might still be ahead of him. Indeed, Scott’s “feel for route development” and “instincts in space” may be below average at this point in his career as [URL=https://go.redirectingat.com?id=66960X1516590&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fprospects%2Fvernon-scott%2F32195343-4f71-9678-98c1-797d431d01f3&referrer=sbnation.com&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.acmepackingcompany.com%2Fnfl-draft-2020-packers%2F2020%2F5%2F24%2F21267766%2Fvernon-scotts-versatility-and-high-ceiling-could-be-overlooked-part-of-packers-draft-class" rel="sponsored nofollow noopener" target="_blank]NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein suggests[/URL], but those traits can still be improved through increased game experience.
From an athletic standpoint, Scott offers the Packers a good blend of tools to work with for a third-day pick. The 6-foot-2 safety adds an extra few inches of height in comparison to Campbell without sacrificing much of that speed (4.56 in the 40). Perhaps fortunately for Green Bay, Scott was unable to showcase those measurables at a pro day due to the coronavirus . While Scott could initially spend time primarily in the safeties room due to his current 206-pound frame, there is an opportunity with time to bulk up enough for a continued role as a big nickel back in the middle of the defense. As Scott had mentioned pre-draft , the Horned Frogs’ 4-2-5 defense tasked the safeties with making a lot of the pre-snap defensive calls and spending frequent time as a box defender.
With the Packers adding Christian Kirksey  in the offseason to start at middle linebacker, the team hopes they found a player that has enough speed and coverage ability to help on all three downs. But there is still plenty of depth needed behind him in passing situations and that is not the area of strongest suit for true inside ‘backers Kamal Martin and Ty Summers. Oren Burks, once drafted to help in that area as well, has been ineffective thus far as an NFL defender.
Those question marks open the door for Summers’ former college teammate Scott, as does his ability to contribute on special teams An area of emphasis at TCU, special teams got Scott on the field early in Fort Worth and that experience will be a feature that could carry Scott to a roster spot while he develops defensively.
If the potential swiss army knife can carve out a niche on the Packers’ roster amidst his raw potential, perhaps Green Bay’s revolving door at hybrid linebacker can finally swing shut in the coming years. In a draft where the Packers’ first picks received widespread attention and mostly in a negative way, the low-risk, high-reward nature of Scott’s selection at 236th overall makes him one of the most overlooked prospects in this year’s class.

Continue Reading @ Shawn Wagner 

Shawn Wagner wrote:

I have not see anyone who knows about Scott. As a 7th round pick he is most likely to be on the PS
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
When they have the depth at S (so not last year), they/(and the rest of the league) have been seeming been keeping a 5th Safety and one less LB.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one of the new young guys make it as the 5th Safety and ST player.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (3h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (5h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (6h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (11h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (11h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (18h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (18h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (19h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (22h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Random Babble / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.