KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Deshaun Watson appeared to be caught in a lie about the Bears, but there's an explanation
Jordan Heck 9 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/deshaun-watson-appeared-to-be-caught-in-a-lie-about-the-bears-but-theres-an-explanation/ar-BB13QmXS?li=BBnbfcL 

Deshaun Watson caused a stir Friday night on Twitter when he engaged in a debate about the 2017 NFL Draft.

a man wearing a helmet© Provided by Sporting News
The conversation started with reporter John Feinstein relaying a chat he had with former NFL quarterback and current Redskins executive Doug Williams. They discussed Mitch Trubisky going No. 2 overall in that draft, ahead of guys like Watson and Patrick Mahomes. According to Williams, if Mahomes and Watson were white, they would have been drafted ahead of Trubisky.

John Feinstein

@JFeinsteinBooks
Bears declining 5th yr. option on Mitchell Trubisky, QB they chose AHEAD of Patrick Mahomes AND DeShaun Watson. I asked Doug Williams where Mahomes and Watson would have gone if they'd been white: "Ahead of Trubisky," he said. "Ahead of No. 2" I said. "Absolutely," he answered.

9:57 AM - May 3, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
937 people are talking about this
MORE: How the NFL season will play out, according to "Madden"

Fox Sports' Doug Gottlieb wasn't buying it and claimed race "wasn't a factor."

Watson quote-tweeted Gottlieb and said the Bears never talked to him prior to the draft.

Deshaun Watson

@deshaunwatson
https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/1258801039450337281 

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow
https://twitter.com/jfeinsteinbooks/status/1256945907465158657 

8:06 PM - May 8, 2020
14.9K people are talking about this
Twitter thought this was ridiculous considering Chicago needed a quarterback that year (and took one), and Watson was clearly one of the best options available. So after some research, it was discovered Watson at one point said he had talked to the Bears.

During a 2017 interview with "The Rich Eisen Show," Watson listed off teams that had contacted him. That list included the Chiefs, Browns, Jaguars, 49ers, Cardinals, Texans, Jets, Bills, Ravens and Bears.

Rich Eisen Show

@RichEisenShow
From our vault: We love @deshaunwatson but it does appear he did talk to the @ChicagoBears at least once before the 2017 #NFLDraft ⬇️

Embedded video
11:05 PM - May 8, 2020
264 people are talking about this
Watson appeared to be caught in a lie, but a tweet from Quincy Avery may help explain his interview with Eisen. Avery is Watson's private quarterback coach, and the two share a close connection that dates back to when the QB was in high school. The Houston Chronicle describes their bond as a "big-brother-little brother relationship."

Avery responded directly to the video Eisen tweeted. The tweet can also be viewed in Watson's likes on Twitter.

Rich Eisen Show

@RichEisenShow
· 20h
From our vault: We love @deshaunwatson but it does appear he did talk to the @ChicagoBears at least once before the 2017 #NFLDraft ⬇️

Embedded video

quincy_avery

@Quincy_Avery
Not exactly. Explain it to you same way I did for Doug. Every year, players are instructed by their agent to leverage the media so that teams feel that there is more competition in the market place than there actually is.

11:18 PM - May 8, 2020
28 people are talking about this
In a separate response to ESPN's Bill Barnwell, Avery clarified that the conversation with the Bears "didn't happen." He points out why it would make sense for Watson to say it did at the time (to help improve his draft stock) and why he feels confident to say what really happened now (he's a top-tier quarterback with nothing to hide).

Bill Barnwell

@billbarnwell
· 20h
Replying to @Quincy_Avery
I’m not saying it did or did not happen, but Deshaun said he did in 2017 in that clip and said he didn’t today. I can’t confirm one way or another obviously, so probably best for me to stay out of the conversation

quincy_avery

@Quincy_Avery
I'm just saying it didn't. It's clear why he would say it happened then. No reason to not be truthful now. Also was there through the process and it didn't happen.

11:22 PM - May 8, 2020
See quincy_avery's other Tweets
The rest is history. Chicago declined Trubisky's fifth-year option while Watson is reportedly in talks for a contract extension with the Texans that would make him one of the highest-paid players in the league.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
3 years ago
Did you know that in 1989 that the Packers picked Tony Manderich over Barry Sanders because Manderich was white?

Yup.....that statement I made is just as stupid as saying the Bears chose Trubisky over others because of skin color.
Some people will use the “race card” every chance they get.
Every year guys get passed over, and end up being better then those chosen before them. No player is a sure thing, and hindsight makes everyone look like a genius.
Any NFL executive that would choose ANY player because of their skin color is an idiot.
Same thing when you are picking a coach. I think forcing a team to interview black coaches is racism. To me that might make someone NOT hire somebody just because of them being forced. To me, if a black coach is the best candidate, you’d be an idiot NOT to hire them.
I would hire the best person for the job, period. Regardless of how light or dark their skin is.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Cheesey Chimed

Some people will use the “race card” every chance they get.
Every year guys get passed over, and end up being better then those chosen before them. No player is a sure thing, and hindsight makes everyone look like a genius.
Any NFL executive that would choose ANY player because of their skin color is an idiot.
Same thing when you are picking a coach. I think forcing a team to interview black coaches is racism. To me that might make someone NOT hire somebody just because of them being forced. To me, if a black coach is the best candidate, you’d be an idiot NOT to hire them.

Although I largely agree with your comments, I think there is still a slight element of racism, although sports has done more to eradicate racism than any other single factor IMO. I think egos and attitude prevent guys of all races getting drafted.

I would like to think that with so many great QB's like Watson, Jackson, and Mahommes, that would be a thing of the past.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
3 years ago
There IS racism. And forcing someone to pick a person because of the color of their skin just keeps racism alive.
If a NFL GM passes up a possible great player because the GM is a racist, how long will he keep his job?

And it seems there are many people that want to keep racism alive. They LIVE to keep racism alive. Think of the only time you see Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.
They come out of the woodwork to make sure that racism stays alive.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.