beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Yeah, it's probably way too early. I think the top of the Packers roster looks fairly good, but lack of depth in a number of areas could leave the Packers in big trouble if injuries hit. That might of been the most interesting thing about last year.... the Packers finally stayed fairly healthy for once. Was that Gute changing up the roster? Or LaFleur's coaching? Interesting either way.

This mock assumes the draft picks make the 53 man roster (which is probably a horrible assumption), but if a couple of things fall a certain way on the OL, it's surprisingly possible, more than most years.

Pre-53 Roster Moves
Trade: OG Taylor
PUP: OG Madison, OG Stepaniak

Notes: It's expected that not all the Packers veterans will make the final roster, as more cap space is needed. The guy that most have pointed to is OG Lane Taylor being released (and that's quite possible still), but it's also possible that they're carrying him to training camp with a play to attempt to trade one of the veteran OGs.

Madison and Stepaniak both got ACL injuries late in the season and so will probably start the year on the PUP, if not end the year on the IR without playing a game.

Offense They seem to be going for more versatile guys that can be used in multiple ways
QB (3): Rodgers, Boyle, Love
RB (3): Jones, Dillon, J Williams
WR (6): Adams, Lazzard, Funchess, MVS, Ervin, Kumerow
TE (4): Sternberger, Lewis, Deguara, Tonyan
OT (3): Bakhtiari, Wagner, Light
OG (3): Jenkins, Turner, Runyan
OC (3): Linsley, Patrick, Hanson

Notes:
~ Last 6 guys to make it: Boyle, Kumerow, Tonyan, Light, Patrick, Hanson (not in that order)
~ Toughest calls: Who in the heck it makes it as back-up OT / last WR spot could get interesting, Kumerow might have a battle on his hands (or Boyle if two deserve a spot)
~ Ervin has the RB label, but he has twice as many catches as he does hand-offs for the last four years, so I'm labeling him a WR, also because they used him as such at times last year.

~ Interesting guys that missed out:
RB: UDFA Patrick Taylor has some nice potential, if he's sticks on the PS this year, he might earn a spot next year
WR: St. Brown, Shepherd and CFL's Reggie Begelton
TE: DL Looney, after looking good at TE on the PS, they switched him to TE. Could he earn a spot as TE?
OT: Leglue, Nijman and more... that back-up OT spot might be completely up for grabs, and while they listed him as an OG, I don't fully count out Runyan because the options don't look great. Wouldn't be totally shock if we resigned vet Jared Veldheer.

Defense Packers are usually in a 2-4 nickel, by NT = 1 technique and DT = 3 technique
NT (2): Lowry, Lancster
DT (3): Clark, Keke, Adams
OLB (4): Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Garvin
ILB (5): Kirksay, Burks, Martin, Summers, Bolton
CB (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Amos
S (5): Amos, Savage, Greene, Redmond, Scott

Notes:
~ Last 6 guys to make it: Adams, Garvin, Summers, Bolton, CB Amos, Scott (not in that order)
~ Toughest calls: Who in the heck it makes it as the 6th CB, who's the 5th DL, who's the 4 ILB, and whom wins the last spot battle between the 6th DL vs 5th OLB vs 5th ILB (and who wins the 4th OLB spot probably should be on there too, but I just gave it to the draft pick).
~ OLB Z Smith / Gary, last year we saw Z Smith split some time in the interior DL, I'm expecting that we might see a lot more of that, which might mean only 5 DL are needed, but then a 5th OLB might be needed, but they haven't yet kept a 5th OLB under Pettine.
~ CB DaShaun Amos, played well in the CFL for two years. I selected him, because he's played well in the CFL and I don't know these UDFA CBs at all. Wouldn't be totally shock if we resigned vet Tramon Williams.

~ Interesting guys that missed out:
DL: Gerald Willis, Treyvon Hester, Packers could use more penetrating DTs, especially if Adams doesn't step it up. Willis was thought to be a boom or bust prospect, whom so far has busted. Hester hasn't been able to stay anywhere more than a year, but he keeps making 53 man rosters and as bonus he tipped the Bears double doink field goal, which stopped their great defensive potential Superbowl run.
OLB: Randy Ramsey, Greg Roberts and UDFA Delontae Scott.... Ramsey spent the year on the PS, Roberts on the IR and I thought Scott was an interesting UDFA as he's edge size but was asked to play 3-4 DE as an interior DL, which he's way to small to do in the NFL, but he looked his best in more open field and I think he's got some potential as an edge player, though he might need some time on the PS.
CB: Dequoy, Samuels, Sunderland: UDFAs, which if they don't resign a vet, it'll be one of the easier paths for an UDFA to make the roster.

Special Teams
ST (3): Crosby, Scott, Bradley
Only three at their positions... what is there to say?
UDFA edge Tipa Galeai's brother was a long snapper, and it's said Tipa has that skill set as well. What quality, is a huge question mark, but it's worth to note, that he might be a potential back-up LS in preseason.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
A good job as usual. It's hard to pick a 53 right now.

Not to be critical just to comment on your roster-

Boyle may not be on the 53 by the ed of the year.
They will have 4 RB bit I',m ok with calling Ervin a WR instead of a RB. GB will call him a RB even if they split him out on the few occasions he's in the game other than ST.
I won't be shocked it EQ is in and Kumerow is out. I project 5 WR but if you stick Erivn here it still works out the same.
Too many OL at 9. I expect Hanson to be the one sent to the PS.
I'm probably short a player so perhaps Kumerow does make it after all.

I am not sure about the defense. Thee's always a UDFA or two that make the team and they seem to be on the defensive side.
4 Safeties instead if 5.
I'm not sure about Bolton at LB and they might keep another DL.

Overall pretty decent job on your part.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

Not to be critical just to comment on your roster-

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I understand and welcome reasonable different opinions. And there are certainly some call that can literally go in any direction. And a lot depends on how guys look...

Like Gute was projecting Burks and Jackson to take a large jump forward. And honestly, I was tempted with a bit of a shocker of not having Montravius Adams make the roster (he needs to step it up, time is running out for him)

Boyle may not be on the 53 by the ed of the year.

I very much agree, he might not be. And honestly, I haven't been a fan of keeping 3 QBs on the 53 ever since the CBA limited practice time. We basically never see 3rd string QBs develop anymore and defenses have been forced to get simpler, both of which are reasons these veterans QBs have been able.to stick around longer (plus more protection)

But my biggest question then was whom to replace him with? St. Brown, but he looked HORRIBLE in last year's training camp before the injury. Maybe Shepherd or the CFL WR, but I'm not sure they're enough for the 7th WR to beat out the 3rd QB. Maybe the most surprising consideration but the one that got me the most interested in releasing QB Boyle for, was TE Looney.

Because they seem to be going old school, versatile, physical guys... and Looney might be the future replacement for Marcedes Lewis, as they're the only non-H-back type TEs.

They will have 4 RB bit I',m ok with calling Ervin a WR instead of a RB. GB will call him a RB even if they split him out on the few occasions he's in the game other than ST.
I won't be shocked it EQ is in and Kumerow is out. I project 5 WR but if you stick Erivn here it still works out the same.

I was tempted to keep another RB (so Ervin plus 4 others), but I just couldn't do because 3 plus Ervin seems like enough depth, those they're all FAs except the rookie draft pick after this year.

Honestly, I get the feeling they don't prefer Kumerow, he's not the most talented, but he seemed to maximum his chances better than others, and that didn't lead to more chances. Of course, they also semi shocked me and released Lazzard at the start of last season too, and then wouldn't let him on the field until Rodgers basically begged them to... and they fired the WR coach, so maybe some changes will be happening there.

Yeah, I was to have hope for EQ, but I can't get how poor he looked last training camp. Of course, both EQ and MVS looked MUCH better as rookies than that second year, so maybe they'll bounce back with a new coach or at least improve.

Also that Canadian WR interested me. But I'm thinking a limited training camp could hurt new people chances.

Too many OL at 9. I expect Hanson to be the one sent to the PS.

Nope, 9 is just right, as I believe they have kept 9 most years. And they have even kept 10 on years where they have muliple draft picks making the roster.

And Packers just drafted some guys that might be replacement for FAs this year of next year and I'm expecting Hanson to be projected to replace Linsley next year.

So I think they keep Hanson on the 53 man roster unless he looks bad. I have Hanson over Patrick in my order to stick on the roster. They did resign Patrick but it was surprisingly low and they only lose 350k if they lose Patrick.

I am not sure about the defense. Thee's always a UDFA or two that make the team and they seem to be on the defensive side.

Yeah, 6th CB and maybe OLB look like good spots for a potential UDFA spot to me. Though they might have less time to prepare this year.

4 Safeties instead if 5.
I'm not sure about Bolton at LB and they might keep another DL.

Teams have general been going with 5 S more often, including the Packers, and I think it fits well for ST reasons.

The 5th ILB vs the 6th DL was literally the last battle I was arguing with myself and I went back and forth on it (even took out DT Adams for ILB Bolton and DT Hester).

I kept Bolton on, because it looked like he was going to be the starter before his injury. And Gute keeps hyping Burks, but when I've seen him, Burks has been making large errors.

Also thought about getting rid of Summers but ST value, plus he's a great effort tackling machine.

So it lead me to think getting rid of Adams or Hester, especially since I believe Z. Smith and/or Gary will once again be helping the DL playing on the inside, especially on 3rd down.

And with that in mind, I thought hard about going 5 DL, 4 ILB, and the extra spot going to the OLB. With Randy Ramsey, Greg Roberts and UDFA Delontae Scott all there battling for a spot.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
As you already know it's tough to predict the team this time of the year. All the more so now with the COVID influence.

I doubt Begelton will make the team. I have always been a bit skeptical. Last week I heard someone point out that the Canadian teams don't have players who would have been drafted in the first 3 rounds, maybe only a few who would have been drafted in the 4th or 5th rounds. Kinda harsh but somewhat true. Nevertheless I would like to see what he can do.

Before the draft but I was thinking GB would get rid of Montravius Adams by selecting his replacement. As you say, one more chance.

I don't know if I saw it here or heard it some place else, EQ was starting to look better in practice and MLF etal were excited about him then he was injured. Perhaps it was rumor and conjecture. IDK.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
I can see them keeping a third QB this season. The reason, no chance for Love to catch up on the offense. The virus will make it extra hard for rookies to get up to speed. And at QB, they are running the team and have so much they have to learn.
So if Rodgers was to go down, Boyle at least would know the offense.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago

I can see them keeping a third QB this season. The reason, no chance for Love to catch up on the offense. The virus will make it extra hard for rookies to get up to speed. And at QB, they are running the team and have so much they have to learn.
So if Rodgers was to go down, Boyle at least would know the offense.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Right. That's why I said later in the year. It assumes by week x Gute and MLF are Comfortable with how Love is grasping the system to use the QB3 slot elsewhere. It's only May now so it doesn't really matter.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago

Right. That's why I said later in the year. It assumes by week x Gute and MLF are Comfortable with how Love is grasping the system to use the QB3 slot elsewhere. It's only May now so it doesn't really matter.

Ohhh....sorry, I must have missed where you said that.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
Beast,

great post. I love it when guys give things lots of thought and are willing to do a lot more homework that I am.

My only critique would be five at ILB, esp. since I am not a impressed with what’s there. Although, maybe some of these guys will be special teamers only.

Watching the offensive line is going to be very interesting. I’m glad we have a bunch of guys there, even if many are canon fodder. It will put pressure on the guys currently on the roster.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

My only critique would be five at ILB, esp. since I am not a impressed with what’s there. Although, maybe some of these guys will be special teamers only.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

And I certainly couldn't blame you for your lack of being impressed... but part of the hard part with this, is sometimes you have to make a hard call between two guys you want to keep, other times, you're really not impressed enough with any one person and have to use the spot some how.

Burks doesn't impress me, but Gute likes him. Summers was good on STs and Bolten looked like a starter before getting injured last year.

But it was hard for me to say the 6th DL, 7th CB, 6th S was more interesting than them... which just leaves the 5 OLB for defense, but they haven't shown any signs of being willing to keep a 5th edge under Pettine yet, and I don't know what they got.

So if I had to release an ILB, right now, I might keep another offensive player. But even there, it's tough unless you have faith in one of the WRs that didn't make it (which I'm not too high on at the moment), or want to try to keep another RB, since so many of the others are FAs.

For me, it honestly came down to UDFA RB Taylor, TE Looney, an OT, DL Hester, an OLB (maybe OLB Scott) or keeping both ILB Summers and ILB Bolton.

Those are all long shots... I ended up on with both ILBers, as a safer pick, and Packers did keep 6 ILBers two years ago (which I still don't know why), so they are willing to keep more.

Watching the offensive line is going to be very interesting. I’m glad we have a bunch of guys there, even if many are canon fodder. It will put pressure on the guys currently on the roster.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Yeah backup OT really worries me. But maybe more running with help them out more and with that, might be better able to get away with an OT/OG tweener there especially with TE chip blocking help.

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

Trade: OG Taylor

OT (3): Bakhtiari, Wagner, Light
OG (3): Jenkins, Turner, Runyan

Originally Posted by: beast 

Since Taylor took a pay cut, keep him and release Light, with the OGs also being in the mix for OT.

OT (3): Bakhtiari, Wagner (and the OGs)
OG (3): Jenkins, Turner, Taylor, Runyan
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.