go.pack.go.
4 years ago
We’re expected to sign Funchess. This excites me. At 6’4”, he provides a big body on the perimeter for Rodgers. He’s also proven that he can be successful in the league. Missed last year with collarbone injury.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Whoa Nelly!!!!
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
Only 25 years of age and already a sixth-year veteran. That's pretty impressive.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Saaaa-WHEAT!!!
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Zach Kruse or Packerswire wrote

Difficult to see how WR Devin Funchess fills need for Packers

Receivers starting flying off the shelves in free agency, so the Green Bay Packers did some panic shopping Tuesday.

The team agreed to terms with free agent receiver Devin Funchess.

It’s difficult to see how Funchess fills a need in Green Bay, even for the receiver-needy Packers. He has good size (6-4, 225), but the Packers depth chart at receiver is already littered with big bodies. He’s not measurably fast or athletic. He has struggled to separate from man-to-man coverage and catch the football throughout his NFL career. True consistency for Funchess has remained elusive.

Between 2015 and 2018, only two receivers in the NFL with more than 300 total targets caught a lower percentage of those targets than the 51.8 percent Funchess caught with the Carolina Panthers.

Not surprisingly, the Panthers moved on after his rookie contract expired. The Indianapolis Colts did the same after Funchess broke his collarbone in Week 1 and missed the rest of the 2019 season.

The Packers are taking a low-risk flier on a veteran who played in one game last season. Best case scenario, he emerges as a legit contributor for the Packers passing offense. Worst case, he’s a bust and he’s cut during camp. As is often the case, he’ll probably wind up somewhere in between. And as long as his addition doesn’t impact what the Packers are planning to do in the draft, there should be no long-term consequences of signing him, even if he’s no good come August.

It’s just an underwhelming signing. To be fair, the free-agent class of pass-catchers was nothing if not underwhelming. The Packers decided against paying good money in the receiver and tight end market and settled on a former second-round pick at little cost to add to the competition. To that end, it’s hard to argue against the thinking.

But now the Packers must nail the draft, both at receiver and likely at tight end. GM Brian Gutekunst must find a complementary piece (or two?) for Davante Adams and Allen Lazard, who are still the two best receivers on the roster. The offense needs a quick playmaker capable of getting open on his own. And possibly even a legit vertical threat if Marquez Valdes-Scantling can’t rebound.

Funchess is a known name, but his first five seasons suggest he’s a middling talent who won’t drastically the team’s biggest need on offense. The Packers need to do more at receiver. They likely will.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
He certainly can’t be any worse than Allison, MVS, or Kumerow. Instant upgrade simply because our receiving group sucks.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
4 years ago
I really like the way Gute went about FA this year. After spending big last year he goes for low cost, high reward signings this year and gives the team the flexibility to pick how they want in the draft.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
4 years ago
Price determines if this is a good or bad risk... but I disagree with the article that this was a panic move,as often when the FA system gets backed up when the highest rated player left takes their time to choose and the market is waiting for one domino to fall and then many follow.

Teams seemed to be waiting for Robby Anderson to make a selection, and once he did, teams moved to their next option quickly.

Team likes big WRs, for the physical play, high pointing and blocking. He has the potential to be a very good #2 which is what we need,at least until the rookie we select in the draft get up to speed ... of course that might be harder for rookies this year if there is less training camp for some reason as some are speculating.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
I don't know how this could ever be called a panic move. If the draft had absolutely zero depth at WR, and the Packers gave a talent like Funchess $18 million per year ... MAYBE then it could be spoken in the same breathe as "panic".

I don't like how slow this guy is. That said, he's another huge target and hopefully the Packers make something out of him. I think the guy challenges Allen Lazard immediately for WR2.
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
4 years ago
A good low cost move, I wonder if he'll strictly play WR or if he'll play some move TE like in college.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (30m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.