KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
One game does not a career make, but the kid looked damn good.

KRK said:

I love this kid, he the next guy to build a dynasty around

Daniel Jones, Coach Cut and the Manning Connection

By KALYN KAHLER February 07, 2019
David Cutcliffe is driving south on I-85. Duke’s head coach had a busy day in Atlanta, hopping from high school to high school recruiting. Tonight, he’ll speak to a group of Alabama high school football coaches in Montgomery, but his thoughts keep turning to another part of the state, where Daniel Jones, the quarterback he’s coached for the last four years, is in the middle of a crucial week at Senior Bowl.

“I don’t even have time to check the internet and it’s frustrating because I am actually a nervous wreck,” Cutcliffe says. “I can’t help but to be.”

Cutcliffe knows being there would be more distracting than helpful, because Jones is rarely referenced without mention of his coach, who also developed Peyton and Eli Manning. “I’d love to be there,” Cutcliffe says, “but I’d have to put a disguise on.”

Jones is one of the top quarterback prospects in the 2019 draft class; there’s a lot to like about him. He’s 6' 5", 220 lbs, he’s accurate, he’s shown an ability to read defenses and manipulate coverage with his eyes, and he’s resilient—he broke his collarbone early in the 2018 season at Northwestern, had surgery to fix it, and returned to the field just 20 days later.

NFL teams have questions about his arm strength, and he could stand to speed up his release, but as of right now, most scouts I’ve talked to predict he’ll be the second or third quarterback picked. Jones threw two interceptions during seven-on-seven work at a Senior Bowl practice and was outperformed by another top prospect, Missouri quarterback Drew Lock. When it came to the actual game, Jones outplayed Lock in an MVP performance. One NFL scout said that right now, Jones and Lock are quarterbacks 2a and 2b behind Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, and it will depend on what a team is looking for in their quarterback. The same scout said that in his view, “Jones gets the edge because of Cutcliffe.”

Cutcliffe’s most successful pupil concurs. “Daniel has a real advantage because he has been coached by Coach Cutcliffe,” Peyton Manning says… “or Coach Cut, as everyone calls him.”
Several scouts wonder, has Cutcliffe coached a successful NFL quarterback since the Mannings? Before Peyton, he coached a high draft pick in Heath Shuler—a bust. At Duke, where he has coached since 2007, he produced journeyman backup Thad Lewis and former seventh-round pick Sean Renfree. But while Cutcliffe’s last NFL success story is Eli, he also hasn’t had a talent like that until now.
As NFL evaluators will tell you, the Cutcliffe connection is nice, but ultimately it’s Jones throwing the ball

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
From the WSJ today...the focus of the article is how colleges miss kid who physically mature laters. Then they flourish at non top 40 programs.

College Football Overlooked Daniel Jones. Now He’s a Budding NFL Star
The obsession with finding the best quarterbacks produces a system that can fail to identify the best quarterbacks—missing prospects who blossom later on

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-overlooked-daniel-jones-now-hes-a-budding-nfl-star-11569853585?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=6 

By Andrew Beaton
Sept. 30, 2019 10:26 am ET

Daniel Jones was so scrawny as a 15-year-old private-school quarterback that the best football programs around the country didn’t pay much attention to him. By the time he had morphed into a peanut-butter stuffed, 6-foot-5 high-school senior, almost all the college coaches tasked with recruiting the best players in the country had already moved on.
Jones wound up committing to Princeton before opting to become a walk-on at Duke, and now all of those coaches who ignored him should feel just a little obtuse: Jones is an emerging sensation for the New York Giants, who took him in the first round of the 2019 NFL draft to succeed Eli Manning. In two starts since taking over the job, Jones has led the Giants to two straight wins and rejuvenated a franchise that made the playoffs just once in the last seven years.
But Jones is far more than just the latest much-hyped savior for a New York football team. He’s the clearest example of how easily college coaches can flub the most important part of their jobs.

College coaches obsess over finding the best quarterbacks. They scour the most remote high schools and offer scholarships to players who are barely teenagers in a manic quest to lock down the most prized prospects at football’s most prized position as early as possible.

But this same frenzy also produces an odd inefficiency. The obsession with finding the best quarterbacks produces a system that can fail to identify the best quarterbacks. The reason: the quest to find the best players at the youngest age misses the players who blossom later on.

“It’s an interesting process,” Jones says. “I expect a lot of guys fall through the cracks because of it.”

There’s one thing crazier than legions of coaches completely missing someone who became the No. 6 pick in the NFL draft. They whiffed—twice—on the quarterback who became the No. 1 pick the year before. Baker Mayfield had to walk on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma before he became universally acknowledged as one of the most talented passers on the planet.

What’s unusual is how often this happens. Josh Allen, the Bills quarterback and the No. 7 pick two years ago, wound up at a junior college and then Wyoming. Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, the No. 2 pick in 2016, didn’t even make it to college football’s highest level, winding up at North Dakota State.

They all fell into college football’s blindspot, and nobody explains this better than Jones. He was young for his class, a late bloomer, and he suffered an injury that took him out of the camps where coaches scout en masse. “He might be an example of a guy who could’ve easily been lost in the shuffle,” said Steve Jones, his father. [krk note: add Rodgers here as well]

Early in high school, when coaches hurriedly compete to get commitments from the top 14-year-olds, Jones wasn’t heralded at all. He wasn’t a five-star or even a four-star prospect, according to recruiting services. Most gave him precisely zero stars.

That’s because when he became the starting quarterback at Charlotte Latin High School in North Carolina as a sophomore, he was only 5-foot-11 and 148 lbs. There seemed to be more hope for him as a basketball prospect, a sport where he grew to be one of the best players on an AAU team coached by Jay Bilas that included Bilas’s son and Grant Williams, a first-round pick in last June’s NBA draft.
Except Jones wanted to play football, and by his junior year he had grown to 6-foot-2. Whenever college coaches came by, Larry McNulty, Jones’s high school coach, would unsuccessfully exhort them to take a closer look. Jones’s hands were enormous, his arm had uncanny strength and his shoulders were broad like his father’s—and he was likely to grow even more. But by then, most schools had already set their plans.

“I missed that wave of recruiting early that happens for a lot of guys,” Jones says. “That’s how I fell behind.”

Then he fell behind even further. In the winter of his junior year, he broke a bone in his wrist that took him out of showcases that would have been especially critical for him to show off his growth. He showed up to a basketball camp with a cast on the wrist—and he was the best player there anyway.

“If everyone was telling me he was a better quarterback than he was a basketball player, he was going to play in the NFL,” said Bilas, who ran the camp.
The only thing missing was a college football coach with the same notion. Once the wrist healed, Jones blitzed through nine football camps in 27 days hoping to catch the eye of a program that might have room for him.

Princeton coach Bob Surace was amazed when he saw Jones. He had gotten even bigger and was stunningly quick for his size. His arm had an unusual combination of strength and accuracy, and Princeton’s academics wouldn’t be a problem for him. Jones committed, and Surace believed he had uncovered a gem, which was reinforced when Jones threw for 43 touchdowns and ran for 10 more as a senior. “Really, the only school that worried me,” Surace says, “was Duke.”

That is not typically a sentence uttered in college football. But Jones always had an affinity for Duke and its coach, David Cutcliffe, who coached both Eli and Peyton Manning when they were in college. Jones had also trained on the side with David Morris, who runs a quarterback development program and was Eli Manning’s backup in college under Cutcliffe.

Bilas put in a call, and so did others. That included McNulty, who sent along a highlight reel and begged the noted quarterback guru to take a look.

“Do not send this highlight film to another college,” Cutcliffe told McNulty.
There was one problem: Like everyone else,

Duke had promised all of its scholarships already. Duke offered him what’s called a “gray shirt”—Jones would have to pay his own way until a scholarship opened up.
It didn’t take long for him to turn heads. Jones began as the quarterback on the scout team, which was problematic because he tore the first-string defense to shreds. He became the starter as a redshirt freshman, and had his best game in an upset win over a school that can pretty much handpick its players but never wanted him: Notre Dame.

Jones progressed even more over the next two years and even trained with Eli Manning, who annually flew to Duke to train with Cutcliffe. Then, when the Giants took him with the No. 6 pick in the draft, Jones became something besides Manning’s training partner: his replacement.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (10h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.