Zero2Cool
5 years ago
Oren Burks | Linebacker | Vanderbilt | 6'3" - 233 lbs.

Overview
In any other decade, Burks' lack of familiarity for any position for more than a year would force him into the "tweener" stack and he would be on his way. In today's game filled with hybrid players and sub-packages, Burks' background could make him more valuable. He needs to play with more consistency in diagnosing and tackling, but his athleticism, cover talent, and ability on special teams make him a developmental prospect with decent upside.

Strengths
[list]
  • Well-proportioned between upper and lower body
  • Has broad back and long arms
  • Leader on and off the field
  • Has experience at three different positions over the last three seasons
  • Fits as 4-3 WILL or 3-4 inside linebacker
  • Former safety with athletic ability to handle coverage duties at linebacker
  • Range and pursuit speed is above average
  • Possesses good lateral twitch
  • Has reactive athleticism to spring into adjacent gap as tackler
  • Plays with good toughness
  • Willing to take on pulling guards with good force
  • Continued to improve as season progressed
  • Has talent to become a core special-teamer[/list]

• Weaknesses
    [list]
  • Will make mistakes in diagnosing that pull him out of position
  • Still learning the position, but instincts may be average for a role as inside linebacker
  • Below average punching and playing off blockers
  • Gets engulfed and will need to become more capable in slipping or playing around blocks
  • Gets neutralized in the hole
  • Has to become more effective at imposing his will despite physical challenges
  • Consistency as a tackler is a concern
  • Doesn't flow with leverage and will overshoot the ball carrier
  • Needs to tackle with better positioning to finish what he starts[/list]

• 4.59 in 40 Yard Dash

UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    5 years ago

UserPostedImage
    Bigbyfan
    5 years ago
    Glad the Packers are taking athletes. In this spot, Ted would've taken "a football guy" like Jake Ryan.
    blank
    isocleas2
    5 years ago
    Sounds like a coverage backer similar to Jones, should eventually find a role on passing downs. Not sure how much of an edge rush he can provide.
    TheKanataThrilla
    5 years ago
    Don't mind the pick, just don't know why we traded up for him. Wondering if we were targeting Arden Key and got hooped.
    Bigbyfan
    5 years ago
    They most likely wanted Key. That's why the Raiders jumped up two spots to grab him.
    blank
    Mucky Tundra
    5 years ago
    So, do we finally have some speed and athleticism over the middle with this guy?
    “Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
    UserPostedImage
    "I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
    sschind
    5 years ago

They most likely wanted Key. That's why the Raiders jumped up two spots to grab him.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Its possible Key was the target but I'm not sure for a couple of reasons. First of all it seems to me that you trade up to take the guy you want not trade up just to move up and see who is still there. Unless the Raiders expected the Panthers to grab Key they would have no reason to feel the need to move up two spots. I suppose they could have just felt it was time to make the move just in case the Panthers wanted him or the value was too great that they feared another team would do exactly what we did.

Second, was our trade up with the Panthers announced before the Rams and Raiders made their swap and if so why. Why would we trade up and then make it known before we were on the clock giving the Raiders or any team now behind us time to swing the deal with the team just ahead of us if they figured we were after their guy. Knowledge beforehand or at least a strong suspicion is the only thing that makes sense to me for the Raiders to feel the need to move up when they did.

If in fact we were after Key can you make a trade contingent on our guy being there. Could we have told the Panthers We will make the trade as long as no one before us take Arden Key. If he is off the board the trade is voided. I suspect that would be perfectly legal.

I suppose Key could have been our target and Gute figure the Panthers pick was high enough to get him but why wouldn't he take steps to avoid just what you said most likely happened. I do think Key would have been the better pick there but I have know idea what Gute was thinking. I think Burks was the target all along. It's not like it was completely out of left field as some "experts" did have him as a third round talent even if most of us didn't.

If he was indeed the target then I am totally fine with the move. He likely would have been our day 3 first pick and while most will say he would have been there anyway so we wasted the 5th round pick so Gute essentially gave away a 5th rounder to make sure he got the guy he most wanted. I have no problem with that sort of move by a GM.

I suppose now you will give me a link to comments by Gute (or someone with inside information rather than just speculation) contradicting all I just said and in that case never mind.
    gbguy20
    5 years ago
    Key was a 13th percentile athlete, he was not the target
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    5 years ago
    This should keep CM3 from whining abut not wanting to play MLB. I wonder if they will have him drop back into a quasi safety role from time to time.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.